March 2018 Newsletter
Check out our March 2018 Newsletter. This month: Chinese New Year, Read-a-thon, Yearbook, Highland Park Middle School pathway, recruiting new families to Jie Ming and more...
Do you want these and other events on your google or outlook calendar? View/subscribe to digital calendars:
Boxtops for Education
Keep sending your box tops to school. Have your child put the Box Tops in the plastic containers in their classrooms labeled Box Tops. Also, you can multiply the rate of impact from the same product purchases by downloading the free app. Search "Box Tops" at the Google Play or Apple App Store. Thanks for your support of this program to benefit our students!
- Tricia Lawrence & Tim Kidder
Up to 2.5% of all your purchases can go to Jie Ming PTA.
Spirit wear can be purchased at PTA events and on the PTA website. On Fridays ONLY, Spirit wear can be worn in place of the school uniform. Youth and adult sizes available.
Order Spirit Wear today
NEWS & EVENTS
PTA Officer Elections
The Jie Ming PTA is governed by a board. Each spring PTA members elect a slate of officers for the next school year (president, vice president, secretary & treasurer). Descriptions of officer duties are available here.
- March 8 - Nominations
- April 19 - Election of officers
- May 17 - Installation of officers
If you are interested in serving on the PTA executive board as an officer or otherwise, please email email@example.com.
We would love to have your help!
When: Saturday, March 3rd – Sunday, March 11th
Who: All Jie Ming Students
Description: What is a Read-a-thon FUNdraiser, you ask?
It’s a great event to help challenge our kids to do a little extra reading, have them help to raise much needed money for our school and earn some pretty cool prizes. How does it work? All the kids have to do is READ and, if possible, ask friends and family to sponsor his/her reading. Last year we raised over $7,000 and our goal this year is to raise $8,000.00. This money will be used to help purchase books for our new school library.
In addition to supporting our kids through monetary reading sponsorship, we are asking families and friends to help this event by donating the following:
- New or gently used children’s books (English Language and Chinese Language books are welcome) – these books will be used as prizes for the kids that participate
- Starting Monday, March 5th, please look for a donation bins/boxes in your child's classroom.
- $10 Barnes and Nobel Gift cards – watch for a Konstella sign up announcement
This is a wonderful way to help instill a love for reading and raise much need money for our new school library.
Chinese New Year Performance
A huge thank you to everyone who helped make the Chinese New Year performance a tremendous event. Thank you to the many parent volunteers who helped plan and run the event. Thank you to the teachers for organizing the hours of practice needed to prepare the performance. And thank you to the students for sharing their their talents and enthusiasm on stage.
Please join us for movie night, Friday March 16.
* Doors open at 5:30 Movie starts at 6:00
* $10/per person includes movie, slice of pizza, fruit, chips or pretzels and bottle of water
* $2/extra slices of pizza
* Wear your pajamas and bring blanket and favorite stuffed animal.
* Parents can make this a date night or stay for family night.
It’s yearbook time! Purchase your yearbook for the 2017/18 school year and customize your optional personal pages by April 2, 2018. Get started: http://www.treering.com/purchase?Passcode=1015039302923731
Next PTA General Meeting
When: Thursday, March 8, at 6p
Where: Jie Ming Cafeteria
Topic: 2018-19 Planning, Officer Nominations
Planning is underway for our move to Homecroft next year. At our March meeting, we'll facilitate small group discussions about what ideas, hopes, and concerns parents and teachers have for next year. Everyone is welcome to participate in the discussion.
- what types of extra-curricular activities would we like our kids to have at the school?
- how do different parents plan to handle the 9:30a start time?
- what has gone well this year?
- what could we do better next year?
Recruiting New Families
School choice season is upon us. A larger student body means more resources are allocated to our school. You can help.
- Tell friends about Jie Ming.
- Write a letter to the editor
- Post on neighborhood social media groups.
Share your testimonial
How did you choose Jie Ming?
What about Jie Ming makes it a great school for your child?
Your parent testimonial is a powerful way to help us market our program to prospective parents. Please take a few minutes to share why you love Jie Ming. Email your story to Lily Shaw at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Being a PTA member is an easy way to connect with parents and teachers and support our school. Dues are only $10, with no obligations.