Jie Ming PTA Newsletter
Happy March Jie Ming families! You may recall that I asked for some help last month, and a number of you stepped up. THANK YOU! We have volunteers for the STEAM Spring Carnival, Read-a-Thon, and uniform initiative. I'm still looking for help though!
- Do you love technology? Our State PTA purchased Memberhub, which could replace Konstella, our private social network. Could be much better! We are looking for someone to learn the system, help us implement it right, and help people make the transition next year.
- Do you have what it takes to lead the PTA's efforts? Yes, it's that time of year, time when we are looking for next year's PTA Officers. We have an online application this year, click here and apply today!
Our school is the best school, and it isn't that way by accident. It's the efforts of our teachers, staff, students, and families. Thank you for your role in the excellence of Jie Ming.
Adam Jass, PTA President, email@example.com
Questions / comments? Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to help?
Go to Volunteer Needs to see a current list of needs.
- 3/5 -- PTA Executive Board meeting
- 3/12 -- PTA meeting
- 3/17, 3/19, 3/20 -- conferences
- 3/22 -- Meetup
- 4/9 -- PTA Executive Board meeting
- 4/16 -- PTA meeting
- 4/24 -- Movie Night
- 4/26 -- Meetup
- 5/7 -- PTA Executive Board meeting
- 5/14 -- PTA meeting
- 5/15 -- Kindergarten roundup, STEAM Spring Carnival
- 5/31 -- Meetup @ playground
- 6/9 -- End of school performance
Do you want events on your Google or Outlook calendar? View/subscribe to digital calendars:
Next PTA Meeting
When: Thursday, March 12 from 6-7 PM
Where: Jie Ming Cafeteria
Our March meeting will include a special guest: Hans Ott from SPPS will answer your remaining questions on iPads and technology in school. Childcare and snacks will be provided!
Resources and information about the potential strike
A few facts we do know:
- There is no childcare Tuesday or Wednesday
- Breakfast and lunch is available at certain locations, including Jie Ming.
- Striking teachers will be picketing from 7-11 am at Jie Ming on Tuesday 3/10
- YMCA Midway offers paid childcare
- Use Konstella to communicate with our families. If you have a need (childcare / transportation), it is likely someone will respond.
- Use our Facebook group page to communicate and collaborate needs or support.
New resource: Parental Controls and Privacy on iPads
Spring Movie Night - April 24
Who likes movies? Who likes pizza? Who likes a night off while your kids enjoy time with their friends, food, and a great movie??? We all do!
Join us for our second movie night of the year. Doors open at 4:30 and movie starts at 5:00. $10 per person includes the movie, slice of pizza, popcorn, snacks and a drink! RSVP in advance here.
Box Tops for Education - make money for Jie Ming!
Box Tops are still an easy way to make money for your school. Now, using the Box Tops app, it's even easier. All you have to do is download the app, scan your receipts, and the app will automatically find any purchases that give Box Tops. All the money earned goes to support Jie Ming directly! Check out this PDF for more detail on how to sign up, but most importantly, SCAN THOSE RECEIPTS!
Have photos? Contact the Yearbook Committee!
What / Who is the PTA?
The Parent Teacher Association of Jie Ming is a community of passionate, involved parents and Jie Ming staff that want to make our school even better for our students. The PTA is involved and organizes many things throughout the year:
Events: Mid-Autumn Moon Festival, Chinese New Year performance, Spring Carnival, Meet-ups, Movie Nights
Fundraisers: Fundraiser and Silent Auction, Read-A-Thon, Box Tops for Education
- Classroom grants for materials that the school can't provide
- Volunteer organizing
- Tools for communication and collaboration including our Facebook group, Konstella, website, and regular meetings
- Spirit Wear and branded items
- Health and Wellness Initiatives
- Zero-Waste school initiative
- Promotion of our school
Most importantly, we provide places and opportunities for all families to engage with each other. This helps us work together to find and implement the best solutions for our kids. It takes all of us to make this possible. Thank you for your energy, time, and support!
Box Tops for Education
Clipping Box Tops is an easy way to earn cash for our school with purchases you already make - and now it's even easier with the online app! Go here for links: boxtops4education.com Then start scanning those receipts!
Reach out to Marsha Trainer, our Box Tops Coordinator at Jie Ming, with questions: email@example.com
Drop off your physical BoxTops in the marked collection tub on a table in the main entry hallway.
Our school is working hard to be a Zero Waste school. As part of this initiative, our Zero Waste Committee is partnering with Macalester Plymouth United Church on the Compostable Everything program. The PTA provides these materials for free to teachers and for school events.